The Geffrye is surrounded by beautiful gardens which create a peaceful oasis in a busy area of East London. Whilst the main museum is closed for a redevelopment project which has brought the outside space into more focus. During this period our back gardens have been dismantled, the next year will be an exciting time in the team as we start to prepare for re-instigating these garden.
We are looking to recruit volunteers to help us keep the gardens looking their best by carrying out routine tasks such as tidying beds, light pruning, edging, sweeping and watering.
We are looking for people who are available on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. We can be flexible but we ideally ask that volunteers come on a regular day once a week or fortnight.
Reasonable travel expenses and refreshments are provided.
In this role you would…
• Help the gardeners with general garden maintenance such as weeding, sweeping and deadheading
• Provide support in busy periods with additional tasks such as watering in the summer and leaf tidying in the autumn
• Help keep sheds and greenhouses tidy and organised and the tools clean
• Help to provide a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for the public in the gardens
• Help us look after the composting facilities
• Occasionally help with large group tasks such as mulching or shaping the knot garden
For this role we are looking for people who are…
• Interested in gardening and have some previous gardening experience (personal or professional)
• Happy to work alone or with other volunteers once instructed
• Happy working outdoors in most weathers (although volunteers don’t come in in heavy rain!)
• Able to do physical work such as bending, kneeling and light lifting
• Happy to talk to the public
Why get involved?
In return this role offers you the chance to…
• Gain skills and experience in one of London’s loveliest gardens
• Meet new people with similar interests
• Help to keep the garden looking its best
• Learn more about garden history and the history of the Geffrye Museum
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign into your Geffrye Maker account or sign up here
Step 2: Accept the challenge
Step 3: We will contact you with more details