We are looking for friendly volunteers to support our community programme. Volunteers will work on a bespoke project with one of our community partners, Lien Viet, who work with people from the Vietnamese community.
This will be through an artist lead project, where participants will be able to develop basic computer skills and create crafts that can be used to celebrate Luna New year at a celebration event on February 13 2019.
Volunteers will be in all sessions helping to support people individually, as well as supporting the lead artist to prep for the session, throughout the delivery and to pack up.
You will need to be confident working with people who may not speak any English, if you speak Vietnamese, this would be very beneficial.
In this role you would…
- Help to provide a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for participants during workshops.
- Assist in the smooth running of workshops, taking instructions/cues from the Lead artist, helping to organise the room and materials before and after the workshop and encouraging participants during the activity
- This project will take place at the community partners venue in Finsbury Park.
- You will need to be confident working with people who may not speak any English, if you speak Vietnamese, this would be very beneficial.
For this role we are looking for someone who is…
- Interested in working with the local community in Hackney and the surrounding boroughs, in a creative project about celebrations at home.
- Enthusiastic and enjoys talking with people
- Adaptable and a good communicator
- Committed and reliable
- 18 years old or more
You will need to be available for the following sessions:
- Induction: TBC
- Week 1: Tuesday 11 December, 9 -12.30
- Week 2: Tuesday 18 December, 9 -12.30
- Week 3: Tuesday 8 January, 9 -12.30
- Week 4: Tuesday 15 January, 9 -12.30
- Week 5: Tuesday 22 January, 9 -12.30
- Luna New Year Celebration, 13 Feb
Why get involved?
- Gain skills, experience and confidence whilst contributing to the audience engagement work of the Geffrye Museum
- Work closely with museum staff and other volunteers, and contribute your time and skills to the local community
- Develop a general knowledge and understanding of the museum and gardens
- Attend training to undertake this role, mainly in the form of shadowing experienced members of the learning and engagement team and mentoring.
- Be reimbursed for travel expenses up to £12.20 per session
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign into your Geffrye Maker account or sign up here
Step 2: Accept the challenge
Step 3: Send an email to Fran, Friando@geffrye-museum.org.uk briefly saying why you are interested in the role and any experience
Step 4: We will be in touch to arrange to talk about the role further.
- Customer Service
- Community Work
- Creative and Arts
- Learning and Education