Our restored Almshouse has been taken back to its original condition and offers a rare glimpse into the lives of the Geffrye inhabitants in the 1780s and 1880s.
We open the Almshouse approximately eight days per month and are looking for friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to join our team of tour guides, who help bring the past to life for today’s visitors.
Tours take place on: Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Saturdays. Weekday sessions are between 11.00am-3.00pm, and weekends it is possible to volunteer for the morning (10am – 1.30pm) or afternoon (1.30pm – 5pm).
We are looking for volunteer that would be able to join in with Saturday tours, for a minimum commitment of 6 months and approximately one day a month.
From January 2018 the majority of the museum has been closed to the public as we undertake the exciting Heritage Lottery funded project: Unlocking the Geffrye. The Almshouse will remain open throughout closure. Volunteers are playing an important role in maintaining contact with visitors during this period and inspiring them to visit again when we re-open.
For this role we are looking for someone who is...
- confident when talking to groups of people
- interested in the Geffrye’s past and keen to share their enthusiasm with others
- interested in social history
- friendly and approachable
- enjoys working alongside others
- willing to help represent and promote the museum and its activities in a positive way
- welcome visitors and help them to book places for the tours
- have the opportunity to lead and support public tours of the
- Almshouse for groups of up to 16 visitors
- help the visitors enjoy their experience of exploring the Almshouse by chatting with them and answering any questions that they may have
- help cash up at the end of the day
- help to look after the collection by carrying out regular
- inventories and supervising the rooms
- You will also have the opportunity to train to deliver our new object handling sessions, this includes, working with museum objects and learn more about the historical theme of home
Why get involved?
- find out about the Geffrye’s fascinating past
- meet new people and be part of a very enthusiastic and committed team
- interact with the Geffrye’s many visitors
- develop skills and experience whilst contributing to the work of the Geffrye
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign into your Geffrye Maker account or sign up here
Step 2: Accept the challenge
Step 4: We will contact you to arrange to talk about the role further
- Customer Service
- Architecture and Building management
- Learning and Education
- Teaching and Training
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection